Thursday, March 11, 2010

Barbequed Dinner

As you might imagine, given my claims to nerdhood, I don't always excel at things generally described as manly. I am pretty good at Halo, I do have a fantasy baseball team, and I have recently completed car repairs using JB Weld and duct tape. However, I like Jane Austen, I'm not very good at most sports (I think the fact that I do have some natural talent for gymnastics works against me here), I have picked matching fabric combinations for my wife's sewing projects, and I know the proper use of a semi-colon. Suffice it to say that when I do something particularly manly, like dirt biking or paintball, I like to make a big deal out of it to reassure any onlookers that my Y chromosome is not only alive and kicking but hairy and sweaty too.

A few weeks ago, barbecued chicken sounded really good for dinner. Since I was going to be out over the grill anyway, I figured I might as well cook the whole dinner there. I decided to boost the testosterone level of garlic bread by toasting the bread over the coals. I made up for the olive oil and rosemary (what a pansy sounding spice) on the vegetables by wrapping them in foil and throwing them over the fire too.

Surprisingly, I didn't burn anything, although it probably would have been more manly if I had. Everything tasted really good so, unfortunately, nobody got any extra hair on his chest.

I was particularly proud of my bread. It got a nice smoked flavor from the mesquite branches I put on the fire. So so good.

So, in summary: +15 Chuck Norris points for making my whole meal over the fire. -3 points for using rosemary.

5 comments:

Sheri E. said...

You're so funny. That's awesome that you made that whole dinner on the barbecue.

(The word verification for this is somewhat fitting: foodisha.)

John said...

Well done. I'm definitely salivating over the pictures of that food. I'm particulary intrigued by the garlic bread. That sounds pretty tasty. I'm still reeling from the news that you like Jane Austen though. That will take some time to process.

Alan C said...

Good job on doing everything on the barbecue. It sounds really good. You marked your score down for using the rosemary, but if you used the stuff growing in your yard instead of store-bought herbs, you get points for that.

Katie said...

Hee hee, you are too funny. The dinner looks delcious, though. I think you get minus points for having pretty nails, too. They weren't in the post, I've just always been jealous of them. No one likes too manly of men anyway. They smell bad.

Karen C. said...

You are pretty funny--even if you don't have a hairy chest.

The dinner looks awesome. I suggest you substitue the rosemary for some chervil. I don't know if it will taste good, but you won't make so many people giggle when you tell them about it like you will with rosemary. "We always knew you was a whoopsy"...