Monday, February 27, 2012

Ow!

This is my baby girl.


She's not so big on the talking thing. She will occasionally parrot words like "mama" and "dada" back to us but she doesn't use them. Lately, though, she has learned a word that she knows how to use. It's "ow!" I'm not really sure what that says about my family but it isn't flattering. How did I discover this word? I hit her in the head with a sock. This wasn't a malicious attack, it's a game we play when she happens to be around while I'm putting my socks on. In the past, when I'd whap her with a sock, she'd laugh at me. She had since learned, however, that the correct response to being hit was to say "ow!"

This leaves me in a bit of a quandary. The general response to a child learning a new word is positive reinforcement. We get them to repeat it over and over to anyone who will listen. We make a video and post it on youtube. I can't imagine, though, that a video of me smacking my baby repeatedly with a sock while she says, "ow!" will get very positive reviews. Even if it is pretty cute.

I guess I'll just have to teach her another word.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Haha! That's pretty funny. Probably a good idea not to post the video on youtube. You might get reported to cps. I will just have to wait a few weeks and hit her with socks myself.

Alan C said...

I think anything she says is cute. Can she say "ficus" yet?

Karen C. said...

I think "ow" is a very appropriate word for her to learn, considering who her father is. She is so cute!